Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Handmade Watercolor Sketchbook



July has been officially declared as the World Watercolor month and in celebration we will be sharing our watercolors through the month with the hashtag #worldwatercolormonth. Join us on FB !


I needed a new sketchbook for this event and I needed one with my favorite Arches paper. The ones that are available are spirally bound and I needed one that was stitched, so I decided to bind my own.

After I shared a picture of my sketchbook on Instagram and FB, I received a lot of how to questions about it.Instead of replying to each one separately and spamming the group with multiple pictures, I decided to share it here. These are  stepped out  pictures. I had taken these, so that I would not forget how to do it in the future,...not the very best, but hopefully it will help others who want to make their own watercolor journal.

A while back, I had seen a YouTube video on this...If I find it, I will update the post, but there are plenty of bookbinding videos pick one and get started!

The one I have used is the traditional bookbinding technique using cords and a special stand for it, but since I did not have that, I decided to improvise and used a jute cord and shelves and painters tape! It worked well!

1- tear and fold and mark ...



2-get the cords ready ..



3- Ready for binding..



4- Almost done with the stitching...



5- Add the cover using chipboard or the backing of used sketchbooks.


DONE!

Nothing more satisfying than this! try it!

Now to fill'er up with watercolor illustrations! Ready for July!

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful week!


Share/Bookmark

1 comment :

  1. Really nice book! This inspires me to want to make one too :) I also really love those watercolor maps, nice!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...