Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Watercolor Wreaths


Botanical illustrations have always caught my eye, be it in a textbook or on fine stationary. I love how delicate and detailed these works of art can be. But it is an art which requires a lot of patience and that is something I cannot boast of!  Also the most important thing is that it requires a lot more control and 'staying within the lines' ..if you may call it that..something which is totally against my nature of painting. I prefer large brushes loaded with water and pigment and prefer to just go for it ..nothing planned!

But since, am all about giving something new a try and seeing how it works for me, I decided to paint  something small and detailed. I started with some leaves and slowly built up a  wreath. It cannot be called a botanical illustration since I did not attempt to depict any particular plant species neither in form nor color. All I wanted to do was paint something small and botanical..the detail part of it was lost in translation !

Here are some of them that made it to Etsy.






I have used 140# watercolor paper and Winsor and Newton Artists watercolors. The sentiments are by Papertrey Ink.



The sentiment on the one below has been hand lettered using Sumi ink. I will be doing a post on my new dip pen finds very soon..so standby for that one if you are interested in hand lettering.











Thanks for stopping by today and have a wonderful week ahead!




Share/Bookmark

11 comments :

  1. I'm sooo in love with your talent. Lol . Can you tell me what colors you have in your pallet and what kind of a pallet you use. I'm a newbie to all of this watercolor stuff. Thanks very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika! The colors are by Winsor and Newton and it is their artist's quality 24 color set . Hope that helps! Good luck with your painting!

      Delete
  2. Breathtaking. I adore your hand-lettered sentiment and can't wait for you video about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! I will do a post and hopefully a video just to show the supplies.

      Delete
  3. As beautiful as nature. So wonderful to see. I often share your posts with my mother who is unable to tend the beautiful garden she once had as Alzeimers takes its toll. She still sees the beauty and it is always amazing to see her reaction to your talent. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am overwhelmed by your kind words Aileen..and I am so happy to hear that you share my work with your mother ..thank you!

      Delete
  4. These are absolutely fantastic, Swarup! The hand lettering is really coming along beautifully! I'm glad you tackled this mini botanicals challenge and that you continue to expand and grow in your amazing ability. I am eager to see what is next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, these watercolor wreaths are beautiful! I love each one!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...