Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Cherries and Lemons


Second post for today..for my Crafter's Companion post click here

 As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been working on this piece of mixed media over the last couple of days and it's finally ready to share!

Colored pencil has always been a medium that has been a bit out of reach for me. I enjoy working with it and doing smaller pieces of art, but the larger ones that I see at juried art exhibitions by artists who do photo realistic paintings make my jaw drop!

So a couple of months back, I started to use my pencils more often only to realize how painstakingly slow the process was and how much patience and time was required to achieve what I was aiming for-realism. So I shifted focus to first learning how to use the pencils correctly and noted that Bristol was the choice of paper most colored pencil artists use and I was using watercolor paper and that was  the reason it was taking me so long to fill a small area with color.

But since I like some tooth to my paper and cannot think beyond watercolor paper, especially since I love to watercolor the background, I decided to first apply a light wash of watercolor which would give me a base of color and then go over it with colored pencils. That did the trick..now it started to move quickly since I was not going over the same areas again and again to fill color.

 The above picture has been framed and is behind glass making the painting look a bit darker!
 Framed- Cherries and Lemons- 9x12
 140#watercolor paper-mixed media-watercolors and colored pencils



 This still life is completely from imagination except for the glass vase which I have at home. The lemons and cherries were done with a watercolor wash and pencils while the background is totally watercolor.


To achieve that bokeh effect, I using making fluid and a bottle cap for the shape.



 I have used a blender pencil for blending and not Gamsol/blending solution.



  a long picture heavy post..but I truly enjoyed working on this piece, hope you liked it too!


Thanks for stopping by and see you tomorrow with a new video!



Share/Bookmark

3 comments :

  1. Wow, I'm impressed! What a pretty still life! It certainly is frame worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TishWednesday, June 18, 2014

    I could not find a place to leave a comment on your latest post, so I figured I better do it this way. The cherries and lemons coloring is out of this world.Thank you for all the tidbits. It was not a long post..in fact, more details the better. So--you are onto pencils??? How adventurous of you to continue to go in another technique..yet still similar to your regular watercoloring. I have learned so much and appreciate all your help and encouragement that you give to us who follow you.
    We are blessed to have you in our lives.
    Tish in Tampa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I moved your comment here Tish!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...