Saturday, April 5, 2014

Botanicals.....a video!



 I cannot believe the day has dawned...
....the day I share my very first video..it's finally here!

Over the last couple of months I had been seriously considering doing video tutorials, but the very thought of all that goes into making one intimidated me so much that I kept pushing it to the back of my mind. Every time a reader left me a comment asking to watch me paint, I would feel bad for not being able to share more. I truly wanted people to watch me create these cards and see how easy they were  and inspire them, perhaps, to pick up a brush and try for themselves.

But, again, the set up itself seemed too laborious to me...how to film, which camera to pick, do I need special software to edit and finish a video...too many questions and no one to answer! What about hubs...you ask?
....don't go there...don't even get me started .....have I ever mentioned that he goes by  the "either my way or....." motto......yeah he does....it's black or white no greys!  So at the very beginning of this video journey we parted ways...no no .don't worry,we are still under the same roof! ...it's just that we cordially agreed to disagree and since then I was on my own......rant over,back to the video now...

So, I decided to just use my phone and a simple tripod and start filming....and so I did...

......filmed one card...forgot to press record after I had paused in between,
.....filmed another...blurred because of table shake....
.....another tossed due to 'accidently' pressing delete on my 'super smart' phone..
.....yet another out of focus..the entire card was to one lonely side of the frame.....

.......begged for divine intervention here....do these things happen to anyone out there or is it just me...frustration...even tears..but not ready to give up..not yet...it's just not me...so I continued...a week goes by and finally am done filming something decent and get ready to edit....it can't be more difficult than what I have already been through..right....WRONG!
....editing proved to be far more difficult than the actual recording! But I learned a lot...every roadblock, I would run to You Tube for a tutorial...YT did two things ..it made me grateful for all those who have taken the time and effort to put those videos out there...and it made me wonder how they churned out so many videos  while I was struggling to make one!!

If you are wondering why I had so much difficulty to do a video, it's because I am not a trial and error person..I need everything clear and concise..guessing does not work for me nor does button clicking..I can't get myself to click something and try...nope...am too much of a scary cat with all kinds of thoughts..simple ones like.. 'what if I click and can't undo' .. to... 'what if my computer crashes'!

After 2 weeks of intense frustration, tears and disappointment, am still here ..... with a video on my blog..I did it!
...now it's your turn to watch it and leave me some feedback so I can improve my future videos....yes after all this I am still thinking of making more because now it can only get easier. Please be frank with your comments.... but not brutally frank!lol!



I used a  stamp from Unity's current kit of the month..for those who are not aware of this ..it's a subscription based program where you receive a stamp kit every month and these contain a wonderful variety of stamps .  Here is the Apriil KOTM




Click here to watch on You Tube


For an overview of the supplies used click here


A super long post but I had to share ...after all my blog is called The Storyteller for a reason!

Thanks so much for coming by today!

ETA- I have a couple of readers ask me questions about today's video...will be answering them in the comments section, but I thought others would benefit from it, so sharing it here in the main post....

Q. Does wet on wet mean you have dampened the watercolor paper before you add the watercolors?
 A. Yes..dampen the area where you want add color and lay your pigment..it will blend on it's own. you can see me do that more clearly when I add the yellow background.

Q..is that a Ranger/Tim Holtz water brush? Do you fill it with water, or do you keep water off to the side in a container?'
No it's by Niji, but the watercolor set I am using ..Sakura Koi watercolors set of 24 comes with a waterbrush. I  normally use my regular brush and jar of water  for painting and waterbrushes for field trips, but since most crafter's seem to have a waterbrush , I used it in the video.





Share/Bookmark

38 comments :

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you so much for such a helpful video. Question: Does wet on wet mean you have dampened the watercolor paper before you add the watercolors? Please do more...soon.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Colleen...dampen the area where you want add color and lay your pigment..it will blend on it's own. you can see me do that more clearly when I add the yellow background.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I'm going to paint late into the night. Please more videos. You are so talented.
      Colleen

      Delete
  2. Oh.my.goodness! What a treat to get to watch you paint on video - it actually makes one feel like picking up a paintbrush. I loved the video - you did a fantastic job! The music was perfect - your narrating was easy to follow yet informative and the images were very easy to see! I know nothing about filming and editing videos, but I can't thank you enough for going to all the trouble to create a video. I learn so much from just watching someone at work!

    One question - is that a Ranger/Tim Holtz water brush? Do you fill it with water, or do you keep water off to the side in a container?

    I would never guess this was your first time making a video (other than I had search previously to see if you had made any!) Thank you so very much. Loved it - and I continue to be inspired by what you create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's by Niji, but the watercolor set I am using ..Sakura Koi watercolors set of 24 comes with a waterbrush. I normally use my regular brush and jar of water for painting and waterbrushes for field trips.

      Delete
  3. Your cards are so beautiful, thanks for showing us how to do this. I use Twinkling H2O's all the time, but I can't seem to get the subtle shading. I will watch this again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful watercolor, Sanketi. And you should feel very good about this first video. I thought your words, pauses, and music were all timed perfectly. I throughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic video Sanketi, love your beautiful watercolours, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your video and am so glad you persisted. Good job! Love your work and looking forward to further tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your first video-thank you for taking the time to share your fabulous techniques,i really enjoyed it and am inspired now to go and play with my watercolors!
    Have a lovely day,best wishes,Nessa :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed your first video. It turned out just fine :-) It was nice to be able to see your techniques in action and to see the way you add the colors. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card and congrats on your first video. I am thinking about it for sometime now n hubs story is so similar...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your first video - well done. I could sit and watch you paint for hours. You make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, if that was your first video, we have got so much to look forward to! I love your work and I thoroughly enjoyed your video.... more please.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGosh. I could watch this over and over. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW - beautiful! I found you through a friend on FB. So glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent. I applaud your determination to get through the learning process!
    I'm so appreciative to watch you work. The card is lovely.
    I thought the narration was wonderful, and it mixed with the music very well.
    I liked that you told us why you added the blue at the end (to balance the warm colors).
    I liked that you were zoomed in the perfect amount to see the detail of how you're working.
    I wish I had some constructive criticism to offer, but you really presented a nicely balanced video that was pleasant to watch and instructive as well.
    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone for your comments .....appreciate it and hopefully will be back soon with more videos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would never know this is your first video! YOU are a natural teacher, it shows in your art and your voice. I love your music BUT love your voice....you are so calming.....I can learn a lot from you....you have given me confidence NO other instructor has.
    Thank you so VERY much and I sure hope to see many more videos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a treat to watch you paint! You make it look so easy! You've done a wonderful job on the video and I hope the next time goes much easier for you. I'd like to see you picking up the paint sometime. It's hard to get just the right amount. I don't have watercolors yet and use reinker which is much wetter and I think maybe harder to manage. I think this mom is going to ask for some watercolors for Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. gorgeous and wonderful video. thanks so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for doing a video. I like when you give instructions telling what you are doing as you do it. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm crazy about watercolor, and your technique is amazing. So much to learn here, I will have to watch this several times! Would really love more of your videos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you very much for sharing. Really appreciate your effort of making the video and it's truly inspiring. It's so nice to be able to see how you paint. And I'm going to get my paint brush out!
    The video is great with great music and everything goes so smoothly! If you don't say I would never think it's your first video. One thing to suggest is if you can consider also filming the watercolour palette as you paint. I think it would be nice to see how much water or how much colour you pick up with the brush as you go along. Just a thought! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed your video very much (and the background music!). I noticed that your colours are very intense. Is it the type of watercolour paints you are using? Even after drying, the colours are lovely and bright. I was under the impression that watercolours would be less intense. Thanks again and please keep making your videos! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much Sanketi for making this video, seen it 3 times already :) Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Finally I got to watch the video !! I loved it and want to THANK you for all the efforts you have taken for recording n editing :D !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sanketi, thank you for your fantastic video, I hope that its torturous journey doesn't put you off future exhibits of your marvellous skills. I love how you make this gorgeous creation look so easy. I went out an bought some watercolour paper today to have a play with my stamps. Thank you very much for your wonderful inspiration. I hope to see more videos in the future - maybe one with you lineless stamping and watercolouring.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am not brave enough to try this yet-but you did such a great job showing things I am ready to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much for this video. Up till now I have only used my stamps for coloring, but you have introduced me to a whole new world! I love the look of watercolour - your work is SO beautiful. I am excited to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so glad you persevered in the making of this video- one would never know that this was your first! Your talent is amazing; thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nicely done on your first video! love the card and technique, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Superb video. I can't believe it was your first. Your brief comments on the techniques you are using as you paint were very helpful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You did a fabulous job with your video and with your card. I love the bold areas of your color and must work on that myself. Will definitely keep on watching your style. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazingly Beautiful!!!!!Watching you is magical.I could watch you all night. You have a God given talent,thanks for allowing us to watch the magic!!!😊😊😊 LKK

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...