Saturday, January 18, 2014

Life Is Beautiful !




After repeated requests for a tutorial on how I go about  watercoloring, I have finally remembered to take pictures as I work ! I assure you a video tutorial is definitely in the future of this blog, until then I will try to share some stepped out pics to help you get an idea of how I work on a typical card.

The other day I received a mail appreciating my work and also asking why I call these small pieces of art as cards and not a painting! The reason I don't term my work as paintings is because I use stamps and that makes my work not original enough  to be termed as a painting...so I believe!

  Stamps- Image- Crafter's Companion, sentiment by Papertrey Ink

Here is how I typically work....I am no trained artist, just sharing what I have learned through trial and error...and I am still a student !

I like to choose a stamp which has ample scope for coloring. Here I have used  a Crafter's Companion   stamp . It's by  Sheena and the collection has some  wonderful line drawings which are a colorist's dream!


Stamp the image and sketch the scene around it very lightly with a pencil.
Contrary to the common belief that one should use waterproof inks,I almost always use waterbased inks, I prefer the stamped image to not have a strong outline and blend into the rest of the scene and that can only be achieved when one uses waterbased inks. I sometimes stamp using watercolor itself.


 Color...the fun begins !
Remember with watercolor , your highlights are the white of the paper, so save them if you need them! Either go around them or use masking fluid to protect the whites

Keep adjusting values...


 Dampen the sky area with a wet brush and drop in the blue and blend while wet to avoid hard edges


Watercolor dries lighter ....


 Add the darks and look for visual balance. you want your eyes to go directly to the focal point ..in this case the bicycle. It always helps to keep the edges a shade darker the center, this prevents the eye from jumping all over the painting.


I was truly overwhelmed by the number of tutorial requests. I almost felt guilty for not sharing more and sooner, but the single most reason being that I like to work at night and taking pictures in such low light, defeats the purpose of a tutorial!

Hope this helps, leave me a comment if you have any questions!

Thanks so much for liking my work and stopping by today. For more inspiration check out Crafter's Companion FB page!


Share/Bookmark

20 comments :

  1. gorgeous thanks for the tips. keep them coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You art is beautiful and thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Sanketi ..love the way you made the card ..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is simply stunning!! I think that I have to agree on your reasoning for not calling these "paintings". But they are definitely works of art! Your handling of water colours is just superb! I haven't used them much myself (I mainly use acrylics) but you make me want to dive right in and try it again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kim, watercolors are super fun and easy, try them !

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph the process ... absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. STUNNING! There is just no other appropriate word for this piece! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your thinking process on this. I really admire your work - whether it is art or not :-) I just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and creations. I know it must get tiring with all the same questions. You have been extremely gracious in answering us untrained eyes and all.
    Your work is magnificient, even to the way the water and colors drop. I have tried..need lots of practice.
    But, as you have said, let the waters and color do the work.
    Sincerely,
    Tish in Tampa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all Tish, it's a pleasure to answer all the questions, When I read comments telling me they were inspired to take a watercolor class, I feel extremely happy and yes practice ...practice.... practice..that is the only mantra for success!

      Delete
  9. Holy Cow! This is just absolutely incredible!!! So very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your work!!! I am looking forward to your video one day :) In the mean time, thanks for the pictures and explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Thanks for showing your process, Sanketi! I am in awe of your art!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWESOME card Sanketi !! Thanks a lot for sharing the process ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you very much for having a tutorial for us. This card is just another fabulous work of yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great! Looking forward to video!

    ReplyDelete
  15. But you add to the stamps and when I stamp it doesn't look a bit like this art! Thanks for the tutorial! I want to be able to make cards like you when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. STUNNING! Thanks for sharing the steps and tips. This is a must try!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...