Sunday, December 29, 2013

A year in review

It's that time of the year when I pause and reflect on my achievements and failures, my highs and lows, pay special attention to all the mistakes I made...so I can learn from them and turn them into   successes....

The single most important thought that comes to my mind as this year comes to a close  is how this blog has changed my life. Blogging came pretty late to me,  considering the fact that I had been asked several times over the last few years about having a website or a blog to showcase my work and share it with other like minded people. But it was a long and hard decision for me. I was not sure if I wanted to open myself  and if so how much. It's not easy for me to talk about my work, in fact I feel extremely shy to do so.

Overriding all these thoughts, I finally went ahead and started a blog two years back and today, I must confess ....it's one of  the best things that has ever happened to me...ok.... maybe the next best thing that has ever happened to me  after I met my husband.... because without him this blog would never have happened... he is the reason behind The Storyteller!

Writing a blog, I admit, is a lot of work, but the constant encouragement and positive comments from my readers, pushes me to do more and do better.

All of 2012, I spent a lot of time finding my style before I finally settled on doing what I love most..watercolors!  I decided  to come up with something that would satisfy my love for stamps and watercolors together. I combine them on every piece of work I do!

 2013 saw me take a huge step in the field of designing. I started the year as designer for Faber Castell, an exciting opportunity to be associated with a company whose products I had used ever since I was a kid. Then came CAS-ual fridays Challenge, which has been real fun, and then Yasutomo Niji, another art product company which makes some really wonderful art supplies  It has been an exciting year in terms of art and design and I start 2014 as designer for Crafter's Companion and Art Impressions.

So, today I will share  a mix of some of the most popular cards and some of my personal favorites of 2013 with you...click on the links to see the original post.

 Starting with this one .... I received a couple of mails asking me  how I achieved that glow in the painting..honestly, I do not know! I used Caran D'ache Neocolors and just went about coloring as I always do. So, I am sorry I have no other explanation on how to achieve that light, except for sharing the color- lemon yellow. If I remember right, I applied the color and washed it down and left a bit of the white paper showing. If only I knew how to do video tutorials, I would have shown you, but I am not so savvy, but, who knows, 2014 might change that..Hope!
.......but for now let's call it Divine Intervention!

  





 


I would have loved to tell you the reason behind each of these favorites, but I did not want to make this post longer than it is and take more of your time!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and wish you a "HAPPY NEW YEAR!"





Share/Bookmark

17 comments :

  1. These are all so lovely in their own ways. You have a gift and you should not be shy about using it. To be able to document so much tranquil beauty in a card is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so Happy you started your blog and I am following it..you work is inspirational Sanketi..My love for water colors has increased to many folds all Thanks to you !! Water colors are such tricky medium and the command or say control you have over it is amazing and I loved your cards a lot..they are artistic,Unique and the sentiments you choose for them make them even more Precious !! Wishing you a very Happy & Creative New Year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sanketi ! I have linked your blog in my recent post you can check it here:
      http://reusingwithquilling.blogspot.in/2013/12/new-year-cas-card.html

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous. Each one more beautiful than the next! I am so glad you are blogging as your work is truly unique. Have a wonderful 2014

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each one of these is gorgeous in it's own right, but seeing them together is simply spectacular! You have such an incredible talent and I am so glad that you decided to blog your artwork - and that I found your blog! I have been going to evening classes to learn watercolour painting and am really enjoying it - but it doesn't come easy to me. Your paintings seem effortless and are so classy - I'd love to be able to paint like you one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I love your card "Take Joy in the Little Things" It was one of the first things I saw of yours and was taken in by the color and simplicity of the card. It truly stands out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the card Take Joy, it is my favorite. The color and simplicity is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your talent is huge and you should own it and not be vexed because you can't transmit it to others via a video or any other way. Those of us who don't have the talent get inspired by yours, and do improve our own work just by trying to mimic yours. AND those of us who don't have the talent have the gratitude that we can view yours without having to pay a gallery entrance fee. So CELEBRATE! You are gifting us.
    Happy new year,
    Bahb (no talent so no Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these creations are AWESOME!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just in awe looking at your work--true artistry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ,I just found your blog a few months ago through Pinterest.. the card with the PTI stamps City Scene... and I am in love with your style..it was nice to read more about you...
    have a great new year..an look forward to see and recieve more of your email updates..
    groetjes Holly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your blog a few months ago through Nicole Heady's blog and absolutely love looking at your beautiful creations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for such kind words...I am overwhelmed to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I missed some of these csrds, so I am glad you wrote this pist! Happy new year to you and looking forward to more creations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such amazing pieces of art, Sanketi. My two favorites are, first: Sunshine after rain - can't find words to describe what I feel when I look to this stunning card... the simplicity, the matching feeling with the title, the clever use of white space to achieve contrast, those gorgeous and bright colors... just stunning - and the second is The wreath, for some of the same reasons of the previous, and others.
    I really love your work and talent, and I hope you continue collecting achievements.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really, truly amazing! It's like walking through an art gallery. I clearly remember flipping out at the umbrella cards! And I loved reading your intro too. I feel the same way about blogging, it's really had a HUGE impact on my life. Thanks so much for putting this together, Sanketi. Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing collection of fabulous cards, Sanketi! You are SO talented!!! It would be impossible to pick a favorite here so I won't try. Love them all!! Your cards are always inspiring and creative!!!

    I hope you will take a moment to join the Catered Crop “Remembering 2013” recipe swap. The Catered Crop challenge for the month of January is to come up with your Favorite Crafty Creations of 2013. It really will be fun to find all of them in one place. Hugs, May-DT

    http://cateredcrop.com/2014/01/04/remembering-2013-recipe-swap/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...