Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Arnold Grummer Contest Winner!



I have always loved the look, feel and texture of handmade paper. So when Arnold Grummer had a card contest in August, I decided to throw my hat in!

 We were asked to put an Owl on our project, which, to me, was THE most difficult part of the contest! Am not a huge fan of the Owl, in fact I avoid anything Owl related,stamps, images..you get the idea!

But I so wanted to be a part of this contest, I have been papermaking for almost a decade now and Arnold Grummer papermaking kit was the very reason I started making my own handmade paper. We used to live in  SC then, and I remember picking up this box of paper making supplies at an  A C Moore craft store.  His kit made this entire process so easy and simplified. I caught on to it and never let go!


 Every Summer I gather flowers and leaves from our garden, dry them in this lovely wooden flower press, handcrafted by my brother and make them a part of my paper. I embed each sheet with botanicals and seeds and cast each one individually. It is this simple, repetitive process  that I find extremely calming and relaxing...almost meditative!


So, coming back to my winning card....  I decided to cast a thicker paper and used some cotton linters and  painted directly on the paper and  since I had just been chosen to be on the Yasutomo Niji Design team, I decided to do something oriental..and tried my hand at Chinese Brush painting  and sent it off, happy that I had done my best!


And one fine afternoon, I received a happy mail from Kim over at Arnold Grummer's !
....and today it was announced officially in their October Newsletter and on their website, so I thought of sharing my project here too.



I had sent a mini tutorial as part of my submission..here it is...




The colors and brushes are by Yasutomo and paper making supplies by Arnold Grummer

......notice those petals and seeds....

That was a long post! still there?


You can stop by their website for the announcement and supply list.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!




Share/Bookmark

9 comments :

  1. Breath taking paper, beautiful painting. Congratulations on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty... I love to make handmade paper using Arnold Grummer's Kit's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's SO beautiful! I fell in love with this card, love the textured feel of the paper and how you decorated it. To be honest, I've been looking, no, admiring it for several minutes - it deserves more than a quick glance....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I will have to check out both websites-thanks for all of the info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beauty, Sanketi! Congratulations on your win, very well deserved!
    I made some paper with children, and also love the rustic feel of handmade paper, but now I just stick to theory. I have two great books covering all kinds of handmade paper; I was surprised to know that we can incorporate fabric, metal and many other unusual elements :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your card Sanketi! It is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Sanketi! I have never made paper but love to garden and think it would be lovely to include botanicals in paper! Your card is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! I have only made paper once and it was quite an ordeal as I recall...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the wishes, truly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...